THE PERFECT DIET PLAN - THE SECRET OF TASTY FOOD THAT IS ALSO YOUR MEDICINE
TODAY’S TALK IS ABOUT THE AYURVEDIC DIET PLAN THAT NOURISHES YOUR MIND, BODY AND SOUL
- What is the right Food to eat?
- When it is to be eaten?
- How is it to be eaten?
Ayurveda believes over 90% of diseases originates from stomach
Even the healthiest of foods when taken at the wrong time can lead to accumulation of toxins that may harm our bodies and cause illness.
It is only Ayurveda medicine system that works in treating the illness from its very root cause. By taking care of the food we eat, how we eat and when we eat!
Is it possible to treat the diseases by just the food we eat? Ayurveda believes it is! In ancient Indian texts we came across numerous sages, minis, rishis and mystics who lived a very high quality of life right into ripe old age. The only thing they had to keep them healthy and fit and live that long was the choice they made about the food they consumed and the discipline with which they consumed it.
What is the secret to the perfect Ayurveda diet plan?
- THE EATING WINDOW: Try and eat majority of your food between sunrise to sunset. Know at what time the sun rises and what time it sets. Try and have three good meals during this time. According to Ayurveda our digestive ‘fire’ lights up at the sun rise, peaks when the sun is at the highest and burns out slowly after sun set. Ayurveda warns that food eaten after sunsets won’t get easily digested.
The only thing recommended by Ayurveda after sunset is milk as only then the necessary enzymes to digest milk are secreted. Milk also has sedative property so it helps you calm down inducing deep sleep.
- Ayurveda places your second meal of the day as most important, why? Because the sun is at its peak. So, you have one heavy meal in between two less heavier ones.
- Breakfast: Consists of Fruits, whole grains, nuts, proteins like milk and cheese and vegetables.
- Lunch: Let your lunch be the heaviest meal. Eat whatever you want to eat even occasional indulgence, restaurants meals etc. If you want to can eat your favorite sweets and dessert, lunch is the right time.
- Dinner: Eat light at dinner, certain heavy and hard to digest foods should not be taken at dinner time. Some foods that are of extremely cold nature and difficult to digest are prohibited. Do not consume banana, cucumber, radish and yogurt at dinner.
- Finally, what kind of foods we can eat? Ayurveda recommends food that check these five boxes:
- Food full of goodness: The ‘Satvik’: Fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds fresh dairy, whole grains and legumes. Do not cook in excess of salts sugar and spices.
- Seasonal: Whatever is in season, whichever greens and fruits are seasonal.
- Local: Purchase foods that are grown locally or nearest as they represent the local.
- Fresh: Avoid old stale foods.
- Tasty: Eat food that is tasty.
NEXT TIME WE WILL TALK OF THE THREE KINDS OF FOODS IN AYURVEDA: The Satvik, Rajasic and Tamsic foods.